Canada hosts over 500,000 international students, making it one of the most popular destinations for international students looking to further their education. This is not surprising, given that Canada’s top two universities (University of British Columbia and University of Toronto) are both listed among the top 100 universities in the world in the US News & World Report rankings for 2021, with another eight in the top 300. For top universities in Canada , requirements are total score of 6.5. & also Proficiency in the English must be demonstrated by all applicant.
As a result, applying to study in Canada can be an attractive option if you want to attend a top university in one of the world’s most developed countries. Are you interested in becoming one of these international students?
To increase its international student numbers by 2022, institutions are actively recruiting the best and brightest to study there over the next few years. However, to be considered, you must meet the English proficiency standards for each position. Let’s look at the top four institutions in Canada and see what IELTS scores they demand.
University of Toronto
The University of Toronto, Canada’s top-ranked university, is located in the country’s largest metropolis and is ranked 17th in the world. Literary criticism, communication, and theory are among the specialty degree programs offered. They’re also known for a variety of research breakthroughs, including the development of insulin and stem cell research.
- All applicants who were educated outside of Canada and whose native language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in the English language. This is a prerequisite for admission and should be completed prior to submitting an application, but it must be completed before the registration deadline.
- The minimum required IELTS Academic score is 6.5 (with a minimum of 6.0 in each component).
- Many graduate degree programs at the University of Toronto, on the other hand, demand a higher score. Contact the program or programs that you are interested in to find out about their IELTS requirements. To see if a higher minimum score applies, go to the University of Toronto’s Degree and Diploma Programs by Graduate Unit web page and look up the program contact information.
- Test scores from more than two years ago will not be accepted at the time of application. The applicant must retake the English-language competence test in certain cases.
University of British Columbia
On the west coast, the University of British Columbia, which has campuses in Vancouver and Kelowna, is ranked 31st in the world and has about 55,000 students (about 18,000 of them are international students).
- Applicants from universities outside of Canada who do not study in English must also submit the results of an English language competency examination.
- At the time of application submission, all tests must have been taken within the previous 24 months.
- The academic (NOT general) IELTS test requires a minimum overall band score of 6.5, with a minimum score of 6.0 in each component.
- Individual graduate programs may have greater English language competence requirements, as well as minimum scores on individual test components. Please check the websites of specific programs to confirm English language score requirements.
- UBC requires an official score from the test center to be transmitted to them online.
McGill University is Canada’s third-highest-ranked university, placing 51st in the world. The university, which is based in Montreal, has almost 10,000 international students from over 150 countries. This is the school for you if you’re seeking a medical-doctoral university, as Macleans has ranked McGill first in Canada in this field.
- In order to study as undergraduate, international students must have an overall IELTS band score of 6.5 or higher, as well as individual component scores of 6.0 or higher on the Academic version. A 6.5 IELTS score is also required for graduate study, with a minimum of 6.0 in each component. Some graduate programs, such as electrical and computer engineering, may have greater standards; for example, an overall score of 7.0 or above is required. To be sure, check with the program to which you’re applying.
- Both the standard Academic test and the UKVI test are approved for graduate admissions.
- McGill no longer accepts paper IELTS score reports, so make sure you can send your IELTS results to them electronically.
- In some cases, a candidate may be excluded from demonstrating English proficiency, so check the McGill English proficiency criteria page first.
McMaster University, which is ranked 133rd in the world by US News and World Report this year, is particularly well-known for its health and scientific courses; it even possesses one-fifth of Albert Einstein’s brain in its collections!
- A total IELTS Academic score of at least 6.5 is required for undergraduate admissions at McMaster, with no component below 6.0. A 6.5 is also necessary for graduate study, while sectional scores of 5.5 are acceptable.
- Some graduate programs at McMaster University may have IELTS requirements that are greater than the standard. So, before enrolling for graduate studies at this university, make sure to check with your program of interest.
- Admission is not guaranteed if all of the above prerequisites are met, and McMaster may request additional proof of English competence. Even if the English requirements are completed, McMaster University has the right to determine language proficiency on its terms. This is especially true if your test scores are significantly higher than your English requirement course grades.
If you are dreaming about getting admitted to one of these universities, you need to understand all of the above-mentioned criteria of the respective university. All we want is to help you to reach your dream. You can search for the best IELTS institutes in Surrey, coaching institutes in Vancouver, or the best IELTS center in Abbotsford.